In this post I will teach you how to get your lettering on a beautiful Mock Up, without the use of any computers or iPads. Yes, it can be done.
But first, what is a mock up? A mock up is an image that has a blank space meant for your product. In this case your product is your lettering. There are many places to purchase mock ups, but my favorite ways are either on etsy or Creative Market. Here you can find good quality photos that won’t break the bank. I also sometimes find awesome free images on pexels.com and pixabay.com, but the choices there are more limited for mock ups.
I have tried a more than a few methods and apps, and wasted a little too much time and money trying to figure out the easiest and most efficient way to get my lettering on a mock up or photo so you don’t have to! Just because I love you.
Below I lead you through a step by step process using the tools I’ve found work best, paired with descriptive photos so you can do it too! I’ve also included a free printable download for you as a bonus.
If you have any questions or input please comment below or contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Instagram. I am using an iPhone, so the steps may look different if you are using something else.
Want to improve your lettering first? Or feel like you have hit a wall and are ready to breakthrough to the next level!? I have been there and I know the struggle is real!! But I know how you can maximize your lettering skills. Amanda Arneills Masterclass totally got me thru that wall and then some. Learn more by clicking here. I am an alumni of a few of her classes, but this was the first I took of hers and it is a HUGE game changer and worth every single penny. My lettering wouldn’t be what it is today without this class. See my before and afters by clicking here and here.
Let’s get started!
What you’ll need
If you want to use a mock up:
- Mock Up File that includes a .jpeg or .png image (Get the one pictured above here for only $3)
- Account with Creative Market – Free
- Dropbox Account and App – Free
- File Exlporer App – Free
To digitize your lettering:
- Lettered quote – black ink on white paper
- Scannable App – Free
- Signote App – (I believe this one is 99 cents, and SO worth it. Promise.)
- FREE Love Child Designs printable download to practice with
*Skip ahead to Add Your Lettering if you already have a mock up or photo on your phone
Download the Mock Up to your Phone
1. After you have acquired the above, you’ll need to connect Dropbox to Creative Market.
- Click on the paint bucket in the upper right corner and click ‘Settings’
- Scroll down and click ‘Connect Dropbox then follow the steps to connect your Dropbox account
2. After your account is connectected, in Creative Market visit Love Child Designs by clicking here or search for mock ups.
- Purchase your fav mock up (this one’s only $3!)
- Sync to Dropbox
- Wait (this takes a couple minutes)
3. Open Dropbox app
- Click recent or files on the bottom of your screen
- Click on the downloaded .zip file. After you click it will show something like “.zip file can’t be previewed” and to open on a computer – don’t worry, NO computers necessary, as promised.
- Click the menu button in the upper right hand corner
- Click Export
- Click Open In
- Click the File Explorer button
4. File Explorer is where you will download the mock up photo to put your lettering on (yay!)
- Click on Local
- Click the ‘Downloads’ folder. I also created a ‘Mock Ups’ folder, you don’t have to do this but it helps to stay organized. Click plus sign to make new folders.
- Click ‘Mock Ups’ folder (if created)
- Click save. After you save it will take you back to folders.
- Click on Downloads folder and go back to your folder/file
- Click on the .zip file
- Click unarchive
- A new little blue folder will appear. That contains the .jpeg photo file you need.
- Click on the blue folder, then click on the photo
- Under the photo is a share button, click that to download.
- Click save image
- FE will ask for access to your photo library, click yes.
Now your mock up photo is your phone and is ready and waiting for your awesome lettering!
Add Your Lettering
This is the best part!
1. Letter what you want to appear on your Mock Up. Use black ink on white paper – you want all the contrast you can get!
- Use Scannable app to ensure your ink is solid black on a white background (this app works great for color pieces too but we it to be need black today)
- Download your photo and adjust contrast if necessary
1. Open Signote app – This is the one that costs money. But hey, 99 cents is practically free compared to an iPad Pro or Photoshop, amirite?! I have seen other ways and apps to use that are free, but it gets wayyyy more complicated and time consuming. Save your sanity, you’re worth it.
- On the bottom of the screen you will see FG and BG. This is where you will put your lettering and your mock up photo
- Click BG and select your mock up photo
- Flick FG and select your lettering (finally, it’s going to be on the mock up!!!)
- You can pinch and zoom in our out to resize and reposition your lettering. The grey background goes away after saving.
- Click Edit to change the color and transparency of your lettering. I find that reducing the transparency helps it to look more realistic.
- Once you are happy with the size color and positioning of your photo click save.
You did it!! You put your own awesome lettering on a pretty mock up. I’m so proud of you! (((HUGS)))
I love seeing your work! Make sure I don’t miss any of yours it by tagging me on Instagram @lovechild_designs, and use the hashtag #lcd_mockup.
Have fun with it! Can’t wait to see what you come up with.
ps. Save over 20% by purchasing the Clip Board Mock Up bundle here.
pps. In case you missed it, get your free lettered printable download to practice with by clicking here.